The buyer manages an expenditure base of $5 to $7 million per year for materials and/or services to support the company’s purchasing programs. The buyer is responsible for source selection and procurement functions directly associated with the company’s requirements for raw materials and services for both direct and indirect production. These products and services are to be secured at cost, quality and at delivery competitive levels consistent with company policy and performance standards. The position is further responsible for the timely planning and scheduling of receipt and inventory control of the products and services as assigned consistent with EPICOR MRP and company policy.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Initiates purchase orders and amendments for materials and services; maintains close coordination with operations planning to ensure timely receipt/inventory management of product and services.
- Ensures accuracy of purchase order information and resolves technical questions proposed by supplier
- Secures and analyzes quotations when required, negotiates prices and terms with suppliers, researches potential suppliers with respect to cost, quality, on time delivery and specific requirements (ISO, NADCAP etc.)
- Studies market prices and trends, engineering developments, and manufacturing method improvements applicable to assigned responsibilities; advises company activities with concurrence of a senior buyer and/or the purchasing manager.
- Interviews and confers with current and prospective suppliers to determine supply capabilities, transportation logistics inventory control and management; negotiates prices and delivery terms with guidance from purchasing manager.
- Coordinates the planning of schedules and inventory control parameters for the assigned products and services consistent with MRP requirements or as arranged with requisitioners.
- Coordinates as appropriate quality matters and engineering changes/developments between company/customer requirements and suppliers.
- Review incoming MTR or inspection reports for accuracy and compliance.
- Resolves nonconforming material conflicts with suppliers including credit and debit negotiations.
- Financial Management.
- Organizational Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Technical Capacity.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Project Management.
- Time Management.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 20 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- College Degree or equivalent training (10 years of experience) purchasing in a manufacturing environment as well as having the ability to understand engineering processes and specifications in a job shop setting.
- Good computer skills using Microsoft Suite (Excel, Access, Word and Outlook). Knowledge of Epicor manufacturing system a plus.
- Ability to use technology to streamline procedures and tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – must be professional in demeanor and work ethic and have a sense of responsibility for their work
- Excellent Communication Skills – The ability to communicate ideas in a concise and direct manner.
- Excellent Organization Skills -The ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment without losing sight of long and short term company goals. Being able to prioritize the daily and weekly tasks of self to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Attention to detail – Stay on top of departmental needs and requirements with a sense of urgency to meet or exceed company expectations.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Keen analytical skills.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.